NFL pre-season football games are taking place and my fantasy football drafts as well as Labor Day are just around the corner. Do you know what that means to me? Summer is almost over already. Yes, we will still have some enjoyable weather for the next two months or so, but once football season starts it begins to feel like Fall to me.
I have been meaning to publish a list that had to do with Summer, but I never seemed to get to it. I thought I better get this done before Summer is gone. This list includes my favorite songs that include the word “summer” in the title. It originally began as only songs from the 80s, but I decided to expand it to all time. The word has to appear in the song title, not the artist, so sorry but Donna Summer songs do not automatically qualify.
I was only planning on doing a top 10, but had a few extras that I felt were worth mentioning so I am going to give you 16 plus an honorable mention. I am including a link to a video for the top 10 so please check those out if you are not familiar with those songs. Here is OLD SCHOOL’S TOP 10 SONGS WITH “SUMMER” IN THE TITLE (+Bonus 6):
Honorable Mention. “Summer Girls” (1999) by LFO – I almost ranked this song in my top 10 because it is catchy and I kind of like it, but then decided it just didn’t quite belong there. The song actually climbed all the way to #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 back in 1999 despite rumors that it was never even meant to be released (demo tape was leaked to a radio station). The best part to me are the 80s references which include “Alex P. Keaton,” New Kids on the Block, Footloose, “Paul Revere,” cherry Pez among others. Here is a link to the video for “Summer Girls.”
16. “Summer Love” (2006) by Justin Timberlake
15. “Summer” (2006) by India.Arie featuring Rascal Flatts & Victor Wooten
14. “Summer’s Here” (1981) by James Taylor
13. “In The Summertime” (1970) by Mungo Jerry
12. “Endless Summer Nights” (1988) by Richard Marx
11. “Dusk and Summer” (2006) by Dashboard Confessional
10. “Summer Nights” (1978) from Grease by John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John [link to video]
9. “Summer, Highland Falls” (1981) by Billy Joel [link to video of live performance]
8. “Suddenly Last Summer” (1983) by The Motels [link to video]
7. “Cruel Summer” (1983) by Bananarama [link to video]
6. “Summer Breeze” (1972) by Seals & Crofts [link to video of song playing]
5. “Hot Fun in the Summertime” (1969) by Sly & the Family Stone [link to video playing song]
4. “Summer In the City” (1966) by The Lovin’ Spoonful [link to video of live performance]
3. “Summer of â€˜69″ (1984) by Bryan Adams [link to video]
2. “Boys of Summer” (1984) by Don Henley [link to video which won Video of the Year at the 1985 MTV Video Awards]
1. “Summertime” (1991) by DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince [link to video] – I can’t describe it, but this song is just simply summer to me and I truly love it (and probably always will)
There’s my list and I am glad I was able to get it published before the Summer had passed us completely by. Any songs you feel are missing? Hope you get a chance to watch the video links and I am sure you can find the videos for the other songs without links. Enjoy the rest of your Summer while you can, but you can enjoy these songs with “summer” in the title any time of year.
That will wrap up a short issue of Kickin’ it Old School. Thanks for reading. If you enjoy Kickin’ it with me, then please come back often and be sure to tell a friend to give it a try too. If you are looking for my other Top 10 lists, click there for a summary. More 80s issues coming up soon. Peace and much love.
Check this out: I have always been a fan of the Muppets and I recently came across some funny videos featuring “Beaker” and some interesting takes on classical music. I encourage you to check out this video for “Ode to Joy” as well as this video for the “Habanera” which also includes the Swedish Chef & Animal. Both make me laugh. Hope you get a kick out of them, too.
Quote of the day: “A life without love is like a year without summer.” -Swedish Proverb