Back in June, we had more rain than we could handle here in the Midwest. Wisconsin had many counties declared as disaster areas as rainfall broke records that month. Many of you may recall the incredible scene at Lake Delton in the Wisconsin Dells where the lake literally drained and resulted in horrible damage including homes being washed away. Here is a link to a video showing some of that particular damage in progress.
After receiving that much rain in June, we have almost had no significant rain in this area during July and August. We went to the opposite extreme of drought conditions. Now we are getting some of the effects of the tropical storms that have been pounding the southern and eastern coasts. It has rained here for the last two days straight. This gave me an idea for a top 10 list. I was thinking about rain and how there are many great songs with that word in the title, so I made a list.
I made a list of all of my favorite songs which have the word “rain” in the title. As usual, I thought about only considering songs from the 80’s, but there were so many good songs I decided to make it from all time. I decided to only include songs with the word “rain” or possibly “rains” or “rainy” and not words with rain in them like “rainbow.” One of my favorite songs of all time is “Over the Rainbow” from Wizard of Oz, but it will not be included in this particular list. I will give you links to watch the video or hear the song for the majority of my selections, so please be sure to click on those.
Now, here is OLD SCHOOL’S TOP 10 BEST SONGS WITH ‘RAIN’ IN THE TITLE (+ Bonus 10):
20. “Blame It On The Rain” (1989) by Milli Vanilli from Girl You Know It’s True – Whoever it was that really sung this song, it isn’t half bad.
19. “Tears & Rain” (2004) by James Blunt from Back to Bedlam
18. “Candy Rain” (1995) by Soul for Real from Candy Rain
17. “Laughter In the Rain” (1974) by Neil Sedaka from Sedaka’s Back
16. “I Love a Rainy Night” (1981) by Eddie Rabbitt from Horizon
15. “Rain On the Scarecrow” (1985) by John Mellencamp from Scarecrow – I like the acoustic version from 1999’s Rough Harvest album better. Here is a link to my top Mellencamp songs list.
14. “If the Rain Must Fall” (2006) by James Morrison from Undiscovered
13. “November Rain” (1991) by Guns N’ Roses from Use Your Illusion I [link to video]
12. “I Wish It Would Rain Down” (1990) by Phil Collins from …But Seriously [link to video] – Features the guitar playing of Eric Clapton
11. “The Earth, The Sun, The Rain” (1996) by Color Me Badd from Now & Forever [link to song playing]
10. “The Rain” (1986) by Oran ‘Juice’ Jones from Juice [link to video] – “You’re just a squirrel trying to find a nut.”
9. “Can You Stop the Rain” (1991) by Peabo Bryson from Can You Stop the Rain [link to video]
8. “Here Comes the Rain Again” (1984) by Eurythmics from Touch [link to video]
7. “No Rain” (1992) by Blind Melon from Blind Melon [link to video]
6. “I Wish It Would Rain” (1967) by The Temptaions from The Temptations Wish It Would Rain [link to video of a live performance]
5. “Singin’ in the Rain” (1952) by Gene Kelly from the movie Singin’ in the Rain [link to video of performance during the film] – The song originated from the 1920’s, but this is the most popular version and probably the best as well. Definitely click on the link to watch the outstanding choreography on display during the scene in the movie.
4. “Purple Rain” (1984) by Prince and the Revolution from Purple Rain – Unfortunately due to the purple one’s strict enforcement of copyright, there are no videos to link to. Here is a link to my Top Prince Songs list.
3. “Mandolin Rain” (1986) by Bruce Hornsby & the Range from The Way It Is [link to song playing]
1. “Fire and Rain” (1970) by James Taylor from Sweet Baby James [link to video of live performance (1998 Live at Beacon Theater in NY) – James Taylor is one of my all time favorite artists and this is one of his very best songs
There’s my list. Please let me know if I missed any of your favorites by leaving your comments. As you see, there are many amazing songs with “rain” in the title. On this rainy day, I can’t help but think about them. I pray for the safety of all of those who have been in the path of any severe storms this summer or in the future.
That does it for another issue of Kickin’ it Old School. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it. If you are interested in reading more of my 80’s related issues, please click there for a summary. If you are interested in reading more of my Top 10 lists, please click there for a summary of those. You can also click on the Archives in the upper left hand column or use the blogbar Search Box in the right hand column to find any other issues you may have missed. Peace and much love.
Check this out: Here is a sign advertising “Land for Sale” which looks to be a pretty tough sell in its current condition. I found this amusing, so thought I would share it…
Quote of the day: “The best thing one can do when it’s raining is to let it rain.” -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Download this: “Fire and Rain” by James Taylor - There are many solid covers of this song including Babyface who released his version on his 2007 album called Playlist